The drivetrain is the heart of your bike. It’s comprised of the chain, cassette, and derailleur – the parts needed to move you along. You have to keep them clean so they can work as intended to give you a smooth cycling experience. Also so they don’t wear down and degrade to the point where you have to replace them. Follow these steps to make them look shiny and new again.
1. Turn your bike upside down or put it in a stand to access the drivetrain.
2. Take off the wheels to access to the chain, cassette, and derailleur.
3. Apply degreaser to the chain, cassette, and derailleur. Let it set for a few minutes to break down the dirt.
4. Attach the chain cleaning tool and pedal backwards to run the chain through the brushes.
5. Use a soft-bristled brush and/or a toothbrush to clean the delicate areas. Like the cassette and derailleur pulleys.
6. Rinse off the drivetrain with clean water to wipe away the degrease. Make sure all of the dirt is removed.
7. Let the drivetrain dry completely and apply a suitable chain lube. Add it to each link and wipe off the excess.
8. Put the wheels back on. Go for a test ride and shift through all gears to make sure they change smoothly.
Follow these steps every 100-200 miles or after a really dirty or muddy ride. You also have to regularly inspect your drivetrain to find signs of damage or misalignment. That includes checking for chain stretch and looking for worn teeth on the cassette and chainrings. Get parts serviced as needed for a safe and enjoyable cycling experience!
Bike Drivetrain Service in Scottsdale
You can get your drivetrain serviced at Airpark Bike Co. We’ll fix the chain, cassette, and derailleur to get you back to peak riding performance. Come to us for other maintenance, too. Like swapping out the pedals or fixing a flat tire. We sell replacement parts from Sram, OneUp, RockShox, and more brands. Check us out in North Scottsdale!